There’s nothing more important than our health, and keeping up on the latest information regarding everything from the common cold to pandemics, and the latest in the treatment of illnesses and diseases that effect all of us is tantamount. Syndicated World News keeps you up to date with unbiased reliable information.
- UTA receives $1.1 million grant to train researchers in mathematical and computational methods for healthon Dec 8, 2023 at 12:41 am
The National Science Foundation (NSF) has awarded The University of Texas at Arlington a $1.1 million grant to train and mentor three multi-level cohorts of interdisciplinary researchers in mathematical and computational techniques to address questions in cancer biology, computational neurology and vector-borne diseases.
- Liver trigger holds the key to boosting gene therapy successon Dec 8, 2023 at 12:36 am
Indiana University School of Medicine researchers have uncovered vital insights regarding a liver trigger that blocks an undesired immune response from gene therapy, surprisingly resulting in the activation of specific immune cells, despite the liver’s typical role in suppressing immune responses.
- Large language models enhance differential diagnosis, paving the way for AI-assisted medical decision-makingon Dec 8, 2023 at 12:05 am
Study explores optimizing large language models (LLMs) for differential diagnosis (DDx), demonstrating their potential in assisting clinicians with accurate disease diagnosis using real-world medical cases.
- Immunoregulatory nanomedicines for the prevention and treatment of respiratory diseaseson Dec 7, 2023 at 11:56 pm
Study explores immunoregulatory nanomedicines for respiratory infections, highlighting their potential in enhancing treatment outcomes and vaccine efficacy.
- Study exposes societal stigma and misconceptions about acneon Dec 7, 2023 at 11:41 pm
Study reveals societal stigma and negative stereotypes associated with acne, highlighting the need for greater awareness and understanding of this skin condition.
- Paracetamol and ibuprofen equally effective for tension-type headaches, study revealson Dec 7, 2023 at 11:27 pm
A systematic review and meta-analysis in Scientific Reports finds no significant difference between paracetamol and ibuprofen in treating episodic tension-type headaches, suggesting both as viable options for pain relief.
- STAT+: Biden proposal targeting pharma patents spurs industry fears and consumer doubtsby Ed Silverman on Dec 7, 2023 at 9:17 pm
The Biden administration’s assertion of its authority to exercise “march-in” rights is causing uncertainty over the extent to which drugmakers may lose monopolies and consumers will save money.
- Listen: CRISPR history, biotech struggles, & a big week for dealsby Damian Garde and Allison DeAngelis and Adam Feuerstein on Dec 7, 2023 at 8:36 pm
This week on “The Readout LOUD” podcast: How does the first CRISPR treatment work? Can biotech rebound? And when is $300 million not $300 million?
- Maternal inflammation risk factors linked to dysregulation in childrenon Dec 7, 2023 at 8:20 pm
Maternal inflammation risk factors may be associated with dysregulation in children, according to a study funded by the Environmental influences on Child Health Outcomes (ECHO) Program at the National Institutes of Health.
- Novel mechanism leads to motor neuron degeneration in spinal muscular atrophyon Dec 7, 2023 at 8:13 pm
The lab of Yongchao C. Ma, PhD, at Stanley Manne Children’s Research Institute at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago uncovered a novel mechanism that leads to motor neuron degeneration in spinal muscular atrophy (SMA).
- New early phase study evaluates “on-demand” HIV prevention method for womenon Dec 7, 2023 at 8:04 pm
A fast-dissolving vaginal insert that women would use at or around the time of sex as an “on-demand” HIV prevention method is being evaluated in a new early phase study being conducted by MATRIX, a United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded project focused on the early research and development of innovative HIV prevention products for women.
- Breakthrough discovery paves the way for new methods to detect and treat leukemiaon Dec 7, 2023 at 7:56 pm
Researchers led by François Fuks – Laboratory of Cancer Epigenetics, ULB Faculty of Medicine, ULB Cancer Research Center and Jules Bordet Institute, H.U.B. – have made a major breakthrough in the understanding and treatment of leukemia.
- In pigs, researchers show ultrasound could be used for 3D printing inside the bodyby Deborah Balthazar on Dec 7, 2023 at 7:00 pm
Researchers have successfully demonstrated a proof of concept for using a 3D printer to print biomaterials directly inside an organ.
- STAT+: Medtronic cancels $738 million acquisition of diabetes tech company EOFlowby Lizzy Lawrence on Dec 7, 2023 at 5:32 pm
Medtronic is no longer buying EOFlow, a Korean maker of wearable insulin pumps. The news comes three months after Insulet, EOFlow’s rival, filed a lawsuit accusing the company of stealing…
- Senate committee launches bipartisan investigation into private equity ownership of hospitalsby Brittany Trang on Dec 7, 2023 at 5:06 pm
Two lawmakers launched a bipartisan investigation into private equity ownership of hospitals, citing concerns that such arrangements are bad for both healthcare providers and patients.
- White House delays menthol cigarette ban, alarming anti-smoking advocatesby Associated Press on Dec 7, 2023 at 4:53 pm
White House officials will take more time to review the FDA’s plan to ban menthol cigarettes, a delay that anti-tobacco groups fear could scuttle the rule.
- Diabetes ‘epidemic’ gets a Senate hearingby Rachel Cohrs on Dec 7, 2023 at 4:07 pm
Senate health committee chair Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) is planning to return to the issue of diabetes with another hearing next week.
- STAT Health News: Abortion ‘companion networks,’ NEJM’s racist past, and other stories you need to readby Elizabeth Cooney on Dec 7, 2023 at 2:25 pm
Understand how science, health policy, and medicine shape the world everyday. Sign up for our Morning Rounds newsletter here. Good morning. Before we get to the serious news of the…
- Eli Lilly’s latest $1.4 billion deal might come ungluedby Damian Garde on Dec 7, 2023 at 2:11 pm
Want to stay on top of the science and politics driving biotech today? Sign up to get our biotech newsletter in your inbox. Good morning, everyone. Damian here with another multibillion-dollar deal,…
- STAT+: Pharmalittle: White House takes aim at pharma patents to lower drug prices; Sanofi CEO defends reducing earnings forecastby Ed Silverman on Dec 7, 2023 at 2:03 pm
The White House is throwing its support behind a controversial authority that allows the government to claw back patents for certain high-priced drugs.